12.05.2011

Today.

Today has been spent catching up around the house after a weekend of unravelment (I think I made that word up). As with most weekends, laundry wasn't done, floors weren't swept, toys were left askew, diapers piled up. You know, the works.

But I don't mind.

Waking up to a messy home on Monday morning is a sign of a weekend well spent. A reminder of time spent together, playing, getting out, enjoying our moments as a little family without worries of making beds, vacuuming rugs, or wiping down counters. At least, not as much as usual.

This past weekend was one of those weekends. We had a lot of good, quality time together. Friday night we went on thrift store shopping, and took a little trip to Target. Saturday we ventured downtown to Daley Plaza to the German festival and to see Santa Clause.

Both boys were a little underwhelmed.

We ate crepes. French crepes at the German festival. Cause that's how we roll.

We came home, the boys napped, and then we went to a mall (the Lincolnwood Town Center) to do some Christmas shopping. We meant to pick up a few things for family members, but ended up with only a couple of small items for the boys (a winter hat for Mason and a Blackhawks tshirt for Maddox). After the boys went to bed Matt and I had a movie night (Water for Elephants).

Sunday we went to church, although we had to leave early because Maddox did not want to be in the nursery whatsoever. Plus we all have colds, so it was probably better that way. Matt watched the boys for me during the afternoon while I ran some errands, which was pretty sweet of him. And very refreshing for me!

We did have one minor incident involving an ornament hook and Maddox's cheek. And lots of tears.
It wasn't as bad as it could have been. But it was close. He recovered pretty quickly, but it left me a little traumatized. The kicker was that it was a glittery letter "M" for Maddox that I gave him to hang on the tree. Definitely felt some mommy guilt over that one.

Near fish-hooking injury aside, it was one of those weekends where we reconnected and just enjoyed eachother.

And today, I have the Elmo slippers on my counter, spaghetti sauce stain on my rug, and pile of clothes on my bed waiting to be folded, to prove it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so admire your take on parenting and family! You and Matt are the best....and the video was appreciated! Love, Lynette
P.S. I am on a wait list for pinterest.

trooppetrie said...

I kind of count on Mondays being for straightening up from the weekend and Fridays being meant to straighten up to get ready for the weekend